The first day of school

I sit at my computer, coffee within reach, candles lit, dog curled up in his bed beside me, and I write. Yet today is the first day of school. I have taken a year off to do exactly what I am currently doing, but I have to admit, today feels strange.

I love the first day of school. The back-to-school hugs. The summer stories. The “I can’t believe how much you’ve grown over the summer” comments. Reassuring the kindergarten parents that their children are fine. My walk from class to class hearing, seeing and feeling the excitement this day brings. 

But today I am home. And I am happy to be home. Just know a little piece of me is in school with you…

6 thoughts on “The first day of school

1. Linda

Karen enjoy the time this year to be able to write! Also, remember that your presence is felt in every building and classroom you have entered as your words of inspiration and kindness last forever!

Reply
  2. Jennifer Laffin

I am in the exact same situation. I started my own consulting business and am missing the first day of school. It is strange not to be there, but I’m excited for what lies ahead as well.

Reply
  3. aclarkist

Enjoy your year of writing! I feel that you really captured the mood of the first day of school in your post. Now that I am a few weeks into the year, it’s good to think back to that new and shiny first day of school.

Reply