A special form of payment

I often start and end the school day with a hug. There are also many in between. In how many professions can you say that?

Our job is not known to be especially rewarding financially but payment comes in many forms. I leave my job at the end of the day rewarded by those I have encountered: students who are truly excited to see you, parents who just needed someone to listen, staff who take the extra time with a student in need of support, teachers whose passion permeates everything they do.

As with every job, there are aspects that are necessary but not desirable: a call to children’s services, a fight for special needs funding, dealing with discipline… just to name a few.

“In activity we must find our joy as well as glory; and labor, like everything else that is good, is its own reward.” Edwin P. Whipple

The hugs help too.

2 thoughts on “A special form of payment

1. Laurie

After 20+ years is the field of education, I could not think of another profession that I would enter into if indeed I had to start all over again that could possibly bring me the same pleasure. It is indeed those payments of hugs, and the joy of being surrounded by other educators truly devoted to this profession that make us so rich.
    Consider yourself hugged. 🙂

Reply
  2. Jean

As a retired high school teacher, I can relate to the sentiment that teaching–albeit exhausting–brings so many rewards. The joy of a student getting a concept, the sharing of ideas…being part of the growth in a young person’s life.
    Thanks for reminding me of what a privilege it is to teach.

Reply