Don’t forget to stop for gas!

As many of you know, I read a daily reflection by Robin Sharma. A few weeks ago, the entry was this: “Saying that you don’t have time to improve your thoughts and your life is like saying you don’t have time to stop for gas because you are too busy driving. Eventually it will catch up with you.”

The same could be said for teaching. Teaching has certainly changed over the last few decades. Our students come to us with much different experience and background knowledge than in the past. The pendulum has swung towards constructivism. Technology has changed the way we approach both teaching and learning. Will Richardson has been quoted as saying, “If you’re comfortable with education today you’re not paying attention.”

If we continue to move forward thinking we can teach as we did previously, we’re missing the point. We must always take the time to improve our thoughts and our practice. My favourite ways are to learn from others: I read, dialogue and visit other classrooms. In the words of Stephen Covey, I sharpen the saw.

What do you do to improve your thoughts and your practice? How do you sharpen your saw each day?

…don’t forget to stop for gas…

1 thought on “Don’t forget to stop for gas!